Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Baptism II



Our Paschal candle, baptismal font, shell and cloth.

An example of the white garment worn during baptism

I always love to see what the children choose to do when they first enter the classroom. Some will immediately begin talking to me, some will look for a friend and others immediately go to a certain work. This morning we had two girls in early and we were talking about Valentine's Day and that St. Valentine was a real person. They were both excited about handing out Valentine's to their school friends this week.

At the end of the day we had another lesson about baptism. We remembered our lesson from last week (if you didn't read about it click here). I relit the Paschal candle when we talked about Jesus being born and bringing his light into the world. We remembered that he told us "I am the light of the world" and that he is the Good Shepherd who leads his sheep (us). We then snuffed the candle to remember that on Good Friday he died but joyfully relit the candle to remember that on Easter Sunday he rose again. His light will never go out!

I reminded the children that at their baptism they received the light of Christ and that it will never go out in them. Today we talked about other gifts that are given at baptism. I showed the children the baptismal font and used my fist to represent a baby's head. I used the shell to pour the water over my fist to show how the water is used. I then told the children that the priest (and, we always say Father Leo at these times because for many of them, he is the only priest they know!) says some special words while he pours the water. He says, "Beth, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit." Most of the children could say the words with me.

We did not have time for all the children to get a turn but we let one of our friends whose birthday was today (Happy 4th, Charlotte!) have a turn. This work will now be available for them to use every time they come to the atrium. 

-------------------------
What you can do at home: If you have not already, get out some photos of your child's baptism and look at them together. Show them the St. Mary's Paschal candle and the big baptismal font before or after Mass.